Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Should Find Something to Do

I love the lull of January.  Holidays are over, and there's nothing to do.  So relaxing!

I promised myself I would read 12 books this year.  I really let that go in 2010 and I miss my lone reading time.  So far, I've read three pages in two different books. I don't have anything else to do so I should be able to finish a book soon and get back into the swing of things.

I have my serger packed up and ready to haul across town to have it looked at.  I don't think there is anything wrong with it; I think it's me.  I have no idea what I'm doing. The ladies in the store told me to bring it in and they will help me decide if the machine needs repair or if the operator needs lessons.  I keep thinking I will get around to taking it in. One of these days when I have nothing to do, I will.

I want to finish the denim quilt I started a year ago.  It is growing, but it's just not big enough yet.  Once I get the top done, I can tie it to a flannel flat sheet and it'll be an awesome camping quilt!  It's an easy quilt since it is just squares being sewn together. Pretty sure we won't be camping until summer, so I have plenty of time. But, it's January and there isn't anything else to do.

I need to finish the Jessie costumes for the girls before they outgrow them!  I finished the pants, now to sew the embelishments onto the shirts and fix up the belts and hats, we'll be set!  Since I don't have anything to do, I'll do that.

As soon as those sewing projects are done, I can start Belle dresses and a quilt made from baby clothes.  I also have lots of sewing to do for my new grandson who will be arriving in May!

I am cleaning too.  Not sure how the garage fills up with so many boxes of random crazy mixed up stuff. But, they all need to be sorted and cleaned up. But first, I've emptied out a closet and tossed it all into boxes (which I have stacked it the garage because that's where I keep my boxes of random junk).  I can go through those boxes first and then tackle the older stack.  I'm sure most of it is trash or something for the donation bags. I wonder when the charity truck is coming around to pick up donations.  Hmmm... Probably soon and I don't have anything to do in January, so I'll get right to it.

Cleaning closets always takes a backseat to cleaning the main areas of the house.  Right now I've got my stovetop covered in soap and ready for a good scrub down.  My sink is full of dishes, the dishwasher if full too, the broom is begging to come out of the corner and the vacuum needs a good run.  Laundry is going and the trash is full.  Normal every day tidying up to do.  I will get to my other January projects when I finish my daily grind.

I also have some bills to pay, errands to run, should get to the post office and pick up a package, mail a package, shoot, I should mail my Christmas cards too before it's too late.  I have a rebate to send in, and I forgot to pay the preschool, I better do that.  We have some paperwork to do for the foreign exchange student company, oh wait, no we don't, just got off the phone with the lady and she says they've updated all of their forms and we need to redo everything we've completed thus far and fill in more forms. She says we can wait another month or two.  Cool, mark that off my list!  

I'm trying to finish up some photo projects that I started weeks ago.  I just went shopping and got a bunch of white photo frames for the girls' room.  I will fill them up with photos of the girls with Disney characters and hang them up in their room.  Poor girls have had bare walls for a long time and I really want to cheer up their room. I think that will look pretty and it'll be very cute and cheerful. I am also working on a project that will be a gift.  I promise to finish that and get it sent soon.  In fact, it's so adorable that I will get one for myself!  But first, I must sort through thousands of photos and pick just the right ones, arrange them, change my mind, begin again.  It's a fun but tedious task.  Good thing I don't have anything else to do!

I love all of this idle January time.  I've been relaxing more and playing around on Facebook, reading blogs and catching up with my favorites, and playing games.  My husband got me started with his recurring obsession, looking at local real estate. It is kind of fun to look at houses for sale. In fact, we fell in love with one that is nice and close to the high school, a hidden gem. It's just over four million dollars! Sitting in front of the computer sure makes a couple of hours pass by quickly! 

We are also going out and playing at the various parks in town.  This time of year is great for exploring the parks and playgrounds. It's not too hot to play in the parks that don't have shade.  Plus, the girls got bikes from Santa and they need good smooth flat wide sidewalks to ride on since they are new to riding.  Once they acquire some skill, they can ride on the sidewalk in front of the house, but for now the driveway approaches will knock them over, and the curbs pose a danger since the girls have not mastered steering.  Good thing we have lots of spare time.

I know, I'm just not very exciting lately.  But, that's because it is January and there is a lull in the activities of life.  We're just chillin'.  Happy New Year, everyone.  Hope you find something to do, and if you have any ideas for me to fill my idle time - keep 'em to yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your idle time, pretty soon you will be hustling and bustling.

    ReplyDelete