Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I am in Love!


I am in love with this house!

We have been flirting with the idea of upgrading for a few years now, but we just never find "the house".  We have a pretty nice house now, so it is hard to find one bigger and better in a great neighborhood, then we give up looking.  Recently, my husband started looking again.  I gave him my typical response, the eyeroll.

But this time he did it.  He found a wonderful house on a wonderful street and it is just all sorts of wonderful!  Now comes the  hard part... buying it.  It costs money. There's always a catch isn't there?

We got pre-approved for a loan on the assumption that my husband won't ever get a pink slip. Maybe he should start teaching math! Math teachers never get fired! Then we put an offer on the house. We made the first offer and there haven't been any others, so hopefully the seller's bank will accept it. It is a short sale so negotiations are at the mercy of the bank.

It's such a rigged game.  Buying a house, especially a short sale house, is really tricky.  You have to have your timing just right, have just the right realtor and listing agent pairing, and you have to remember that not all houses on the market are really up for sale.  A lot of realtors and/or banks have the buyers hand picked already.  We're just hoping that we finally are the chosen ones.  Time will tell.

Apparently, with a short sale, waiting is something we'll have to learn how to do well. Not sure why they take so darn long, but it is common for a short sale to take 6 - 8 months to change hands. Let's just keep hoping that we'll be moving into that beautiful house in 6 months or so!

The house is a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom with a beautiful back yard.  The back and one side is bordered with a wooded walking path. Very nice!  The kitchen has the worst countertop, ugh, the popular small white tiles.  I have no idea why that style countertop is so popular for kitchens around here.  Who wants a zillion grout lines in their kitchen?  Not me!  I spill my coffee once in a while!  I got new countertops, stovetop, sink and faucet for Mother's Day and I told my husband if we get this  house we'll have to have Mother's Day again.  Otherwise, I love it.

The part of the house that was really important to me is the laundry room.  Who would have ever thought that a laundry room would be so darn important?  But, it is. Right now my washer and dryer sit in a small breezeway between the house and garage, which is very close to the front door.  When I do laundry (daily) I am in this tiny little space with the machines, the two doors both open into the laundry area, and my mountain of dirty laundry is piled right by the front door.  It never fails, someone will knock on my door the day I decide to catch up on laundry.  Knock. Knock.  Hello, come in. This is my pile of dirty laundry.  ugh, drives me crazy!  And this is why I want a laundry area that has elbow room and isn't right by the front door or in the busy traffic lane.

The house is only a mile and a half from where we currently live. Wish us luck!  I have no idea when we'll know anything other than "maybe" which is all we know now.  The realtor said not to get my hopes up too much and to have a plan B.  Ummm, did you see that place?  My hopes are UP, baby, UP! 

2 comments:

  1. You want to move, just when I know how to get to your house without maps or directions. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found "the" house for your family. Finding the right house can be a tedious process. We may be relocating due to a job change so we've already started looking. We think we found "the" house for us. Now we just need the job to pan out. I don't know why they call it a Short Sale. It should be called a "Hurry Up and Wait Sale". I hope everything works out for you guys!

    ReplyDelete