I finished the Belle dresses just a couple of days after starting them. They were so much fun to make!
For Gracie's dress, I used the same pattern that I used for her Little Mermaid fabric printed dress and for her orange preschool graduation dress. I really like the way those dresses fit her and she enjoys wearing them. For the Belle dress, I just added another layer to the skirt and improvised a shoulder thing. I have no idea what that shoulder thing is called. Is it the "yoke"?
For Libby's dress, I used a cute little peasant dress pattern. I love it because it doesn't require any buttons or zippers. It's super easy for her to dress herself! I also had to improvise a bit to make it princessy. And I totally messed up with the off-the-shoulder piece; I forgot! I added a waistband before I realized I had it in the wrong place. Oh well. So far, Libby hasn't noticed. Shhh!
Both dresses are from the same fabric. The under layer is a yellow glitter infused satin and the top layer is a bright yellow glitter infused taffeta (I think, or maybe its a tightly woven tulle, I don't know). I added little store bought red ribbon roses. By the way, glitter infused fabric leaves a trail of glitter everywhere you go. After one wearing, the dresses are no longer glittery. However, the interior of my mini-van may forever sparkle!
Luckily, both dresses fit like a charm! Gracie said her dress was itchy, so she had to wear a cotton camisole underneath it; she didn't complain once about any itching after that.
Mostly I used my serger to sew them up. It sure is nice for satin and taffeta! Quick and easy, looks nice too. I think my husband is happy to see me getting more use out of it; he paid a fortune for it and its been hard to find the time to devote to learning it well. I'm beginning to get the hang of it.
They turned out fantastic! Looks like the girls loved them too.
ReplyDeleteI want a princess dress.
ReplyDelete