Thursday, May 9, 2013

Happy 105th Birthday to my Grandma!

Only the best people can celebrate 105 birthdays. Only the most resilient, stubborn, adventurous, confident, graceful, delightful, commanding, caring, generous, compassionate, respected, intelligent, loving people can stand strong for so long. My grandma Grace is celebrating her 105th birthday today. She is legendary!

What do you give to someone who is celebrating a 105th birthday? Any and all gifts are just more junk and clutter for her to shuffle around.

Sending flowers is ridiculously expensive and they don't deliver to her home. They'll deliver to the gas station in town, but they won't go all the way out to her house unless they are sent via FedEx. She usually receives a few bouquets of flowers anyway, so I didn't do that.

Someone suggested that I buy a star and name it after her. Well, that's a great idea, but a star? I don't think  you can really own a star. I think you and pay someone and think you own a star, but I am pretty sure that's it. I decided I will wait until its dark out, look up and name 105 stars "Gracie".

I am supposed to be sewing a pair of pajamas for her and I thought for sure that I would have that done by the time  her birthday and Mother's Day rolled around. But, I have stitches in my finger and it isn't healing very quickly so I am still not able to sew. I can type because I can backspace over my mistakes. That isn't so easy to do when sewing!

Years ago, I gave her a gift certificate to the local chocolate shop, but one of her friends was making a decadent chocolate cake for her and that might be enough chocolate.

Hmmm....

All of this thinking amounted to no more than a hill of beans. The day is today and I didn't even send a card yet! Gosh, how could I have let the time go along so fast and not get a card in the mail. I really need to aspire to be more like my grandma.  She never ever forgets a birthday, holiday or special occasion. Ever! She's very thoughtful and organized.

I guess my gift to my grandma is my admiration of her and my desire to be more like her. Someday I will get this birthday thing figured out and learn to mail cards in a timely manner. You know... Before the birthday! 

I know my mother tried to teach these values to me at a young age, and at a not so young age she's still trying to teach me. It's not her fault that I am slow to pick up on this the concept of how a calendar works and plan ahead and things like that. I have been trying to teach my kids too. Hopefully it will catch on in the next generation! We went to Disneyland yesterday and we remembered Great Grandma on all of our adventures during the day since she gave us the passes. We have been telling everyone that she is 105 years old today. And, Libby and I baked cake-pops and covered them with chocolate so that we could celebrate Grandma's birthday here at home in her honor.

I am going to count myself lucky x105 because my grandma still loves me even though I am not there for her birthday and I forgot to mail her card. She knows I adore her and love her very much, but I've got a lot to learn!

Happy Birthday, Grandma!  See you in a month or two!

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, a post like that for her and I think that's all the present she needs! I totally get it - when you HAVE everything you need, gifts just become that much more clutter. But wow, 105? I'm truly impressed!

    ReplyDelete