Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Trying to Name the Baby

I had all four kids at my house the other day, and we all sat down with a paper and pen and determination to name Katie's baby.

Katie is halfway through this pregnancy and she'll soon find out if she's having a girl or a boy. She said they've already chosen a name for a girl, but they haven't selected one for a boy yet. And, they are waiting to discuss the matter until after they discover the gender. For their discussion and selection purposes, the kids and I made a boy name list. Just in case...

I hope they have an easier time choosing a name than my husband and I did. We had rules. Lots of rules. Very strict rules. I refrained from imposing my rules on the kids' list. These were their suggestions!

The kids involved in this suggestion process are:  Gracie, age 6.5 and in the first grade. She can read and write so she was the secretary for the meeting.  Libby, just turned 4 yrs old but has the wit of a middle schooler.  Charlie, age 2, terrible two. He's loud and knows how to voice his opinions.  Henry, or Hank, age 16 months. Hank is the big brother of this nameless baby so he has a special interest in providing a high quality entry on the list.

The kids were naming names faster than Gracie could write them, and each child added at least one name to the list.  The list, in no particular order:

(oh how I wish I would have taken a picture of the actual list)

1.  Thomas
       Gracie thought of this one. She insists that the baby should be named Thomas because it's cute and easy to say and she just likes it. I like it too; Thomas was our boy name for each of the girls but we never had a chance to use the name.

2.  Choo-Choo
     Henry's contribution to the baby name list.  Every time someone said "Thomas" Henry followed it up with "Choo-Choo".  Therefore, Choo-Choo made the list right behind Thomas.

3. Chicken Nugget.
      Libby's idea. Seems that the easy to heat and serve something the kids will eat type of dinner is also a baby boy name. Might even be fitting. Actually, I like the name for the fetus stage, but I'm not sure if Katie and Andrew will send this one to the top of their list. We'll see.

4.  Dolly
     Now, what's wrong with a boy named "Dolly"?  He might be adorable!  Libby thinks Dolly is a good name for any cute baby, boy or girl. Dolly makes the list.

5.  Fergus
    Gracie suggested this fine manly name for a little baby boy. Fergus is the King and father of the very popular red-headed Scottish princess in the movie "Brave" that the girls are all obsessed with this season.

6. Charlie
     Guess whose idea this name was? Yup! Charlie came up with this one. It's a good name and he likes it! He pronounces it "Chaw- Wee".

7. George
   My only contribution to the list. I was trying to steer Libby to suggesting more traditional boy names and gave "George" as an example.  Since it's the name of a cute little monkey, Charlie and Henry cheered for it, so it's on the list and now I can say I thought of one too.

There you go, kids, a great list of boy names for your new baby, should you need a list of boy names.  Hopefully you will find out soon so that you can choose a name for that little chicken nugget. In the meantime, the kids have come together and provided this list of their favorite names for you to think about. Ponder.


1 comment:

  1. I personally like George(Dad). How about Thomas George. Roger is a good name. How wonderful it would be if the kids could incorporate Roger & George together.

    ReplyDelete