Monday, December 26, 2011

Wump Wump

Today, I drove the kids to the park... yadda yadda... so I'm driving along in the neighborhood going between 20~25... and this kid comes flying out into the street on his skateboard RIGHT in front of me!  He came flying off the curb between two parked cars. He's lucky I saw him! I braked and at the same time he saw the van and he hopped off that skateboard and landed square on his feet out of the way. 
But, his dismount was forceful and he shot that skateboard right under the van. I was hoping I would straddle it, or that it was going fast enough to roll under. I was barely moving at this point, but since he wasn't in my way I didn't stomp on the brakes.  
Wump Wump. Whoops. My back tires ran over that stupid skateboard. I looked in my rear view mirror and it was still in one piece, no harm done. He picked up his board and gave it a quick once over and just stared at me.  You should have seen his little face. He looked astonished. 
I'm not sure if he was grateful that his young life was spared, or amazed that his skateboard successfully survived a mini-van drive by, or if he was sad and ready to cry because I broke it. I have no idea.  As I glanced in my rear view mirror the board appeared to be in one piece with all the wheels still attached, but then again I didn't stop to inspect it. I'll bet it has a tire tread mark on it at the very least.
Let this be a lesson, kid. Play at the park and keep your toys out of the street!

 

2 comments: