Monday, December 19, 2011

If I had a job....

If I had a job, and I mean a job in which I would leave the house with my hair brushed and go to a quiet place to sit in front of the computer and write my blog while pretending to create incredibly boring spreadsheets, the boss is an adult, I would wear nice clean clothes, and I would get a paycheck rather than a headbutt to the face... yeah, that kind of job.  If I had a job like that, I would get fired every week at least!

The kids have been passing around one germ after another. This year has been the worst ever for the 5 yr old. When she was a baby she was never ever sick. I took her to the doctor for an illness for the first time when she was 2.5 years old.  Now, she's got one thing after another. I'm chalking it up to Kindergarten cooties, but really, who knows, it might just be a bad year for germs. Or, a good year (from the perspective of the germs).

All I want for Christmas is a houseful of healthy kids!

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want a job with an adult boss and a paycheck. The lack of monetary pay more than makes up for the lack of job stress and pressure. A greater sense of sanity would be kind of nice, but then I'd miss out on so much with the little ones and they are only little once. Soon enough they will crave time away from their mama and they will wish I would just keep my distance. I know the drill. They turn into snotty preteens eventually, so I might as well enjoy them while they are still cute and loving.

Maybe by then the kids will be more resilient to germs.  They should be. They are building up all kinds of immunities this year with one crappy cold and flu bug after another.  Maybe then I'll have a job and I won't have to call out sick 3 or 4 days a week like I would have to now, if I had a job.

I've had jobs before. All sorts of jobs. They suck. I've had a job and kids at the same time, several times. It's stressful and difficult on the very best days. I don't miss any of the jobs I've ever had. I do miss contributing to the family income even a little bit; I liked the feeling of helping bring in a little money. But, I never was able to earn much, the financial burden has always been my husband's.  Good thing he doesn't value me for my financial contribution! I am a lucky wife.

One of these days, when the girls are too cool to hang with their sparkly haired mom, who drives a mini-van, I'll write up my resume and fill it full of well worded ways to express my mom magic skills, I'll add my volunteer babysitting for friends and hosting an exchange student as volunteer work, and I'll pretend I know how to use Word in a format beyond 2003.  I'll be like Nemo's dad going out on a great adventure into the frightening unknown. I might have to learn new analogies; Nemo might not be the most professional way to illustrate a point.

There again, good thing I don't have a job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment