Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gobble! Gobble!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I haven't been posting what I am thankful for every day in November because it gets tedious to read all of those thankful posts and I just don't want to add to that. I'll make a quick list though.

I'm not going to state the obvious. I'm thankful for my family, immediate and extended, every single one of them, the crazy and the sane (not many of the latter types).  I'm thankful for food and health and lack of natural catastrophe, etc.  And of course, thankful for those serving in the military and those who served.

In no particular order, and probably will neglect to mention many things I'm thankful for, but here goes:

1. Thankful that my broken ankle healed up before my husband went crazy. Poor guy had to be nurse and Mr. Mom all summer and all of his off time in the fall too. I'm healed up now, and I know I wouldn't have healed so quickly and so well without his help. And I'm super glad he didn't end up in the looney bin.

2. Schumacher stuffing.  Seriously, it's so good! I just had a bite. Nothing like it! I don't even remember the stuffing my dad made when I was a kid because this stuffing is so delicious that my tastebuds have forgotten all others. I love Thanksgiving! I remember as a child it was my favorite holiday because I was a big eater. I don't know how my mom kept me fed; I was a bottomless pit. She probably had to go to the grocery store every day and stock up. They must have thought she had ten kids. Anyway, my husband's stuffing is the best. I'm going to sneak another bite.

3. No school all week.  In South Dakota and the midwestern states, they get Thurs and Friday off for Thanksgiving. That's it. I always thought that was plenty. I love having the whole week off! Californians know how to live it up for the holidays!

4. California Life. I love it here. It's sunny and we're surrounded by nice friendly people and fun places to go. I still don't take it for granted that we live in Southern California. It's like a vacation. Well, for me. Probably not for my husband who works two jobs.

5. Our lazy Elf on the Shelf. She doesn't do tricks or get into mischief or show up too early in the season. She's a good elf. Just sits around the house glaring at the children and reporting to Santa if they aren't behaving. She just moves from shelf to shelf, maybe puts a knee up. That's it. She's not all crazy and keeping me up at night with her shenanigans.

6. Facebook and Blogging. Without social media, I'd get way too lonely and detached from the world. I'm out of the loop now; I barely know what's going on outside of the mommy life. But I'm never feeling alone when I have my internet friends and family just a click away.

7.  My Wednesday morning coffee friends. They are the best! I love having such good friends and they never seem to get tired of me. For that I am extra thankful! I am truly grateful to call Audrey and Kristin my best friends because they are such gems. I know I won the friend lottery.

8. My car. It's a year old on December 1st. I just love it! I was nervous to give up my mini-van life and squish into a little car, but it's been great. I don't miss the van at all. Sometimes I miss some of the van features, like the remote sliding doors (when they worked) or the stow and go storage, or putting my loudest child in the 3rd row instead of right behind my ear. The car is comfortable, looks great, rides nice, and gets great gas mileage.  And I can stuff a ton of crap into the trunk. I love it!

9. Our exchange students. We hosted two, and they both left such a big impression on us.  They were completely different experiences too. Love them both!

10.  Online shopping. Let's face it. It's getting harder to shop for the kids gifts while I have them with me. They are getting wiser and much more observant. They also beg louder. It's just easier to shop online. I just bought myself a gift online and I can't wait to try it out! After I play with my new toy for a while, I'll box it back up and wrap it for Christmas. I just have to find time to be sneaky and find time to play with it.

Gobble! Gobble!  Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment