As a stay-at-home-mom, I don't have a work schedule like the guys in the movie "Office Space". No 15 minute coffee break twice a day. No slow commute to and from work by myself. No getting off work at 5pm and leaving it all behind in the office. That's not the reality of a mom.
My commute time is spent driving while playing "cash cab" to enrich our homeschool lessons, refereeing the "stop repeating me" feud and the "he's looking at me" situation and trying so hard not to lose my mind from the constant kicking of the back of my seat. No worries though, I still remember to stop for red lights and not cuss out loud at the idiots who don't.
My average day starts later than it used to, I'm peeling myself out of my bed at 6:30 or 7:00 if I'm lucky. And only because the kids are demanding that I get up and feed them, and greet the sun. There are no naps. They go to bed at 9pm and there are usually only one or two middle of the night requests for attention. It's not an eight to five job, but the hours have improved.
What's lacking is a little break. I would love to get a 15 minute break every single day! Two? Sure! But, one doesn't even sound realistic, two breaks would be a crazy little dream. Sometimes I can get someone to cover for me and I can get a little break. And once in a while, I can get a long enough break to do some sewing, but let's face it, I have to pay someone for that kind of relief.
Yesterday I got eight minutes. It was awesome! Nobody watched the kids, they were just behaving on their own and allowing me to have some time to myself. I think they smelled me and knew a break for me would be in everyone's best interests. I took a shower.
How fast can you shower? From fully clothed to fully clothed again? I beat'cha!
I didn't just jump into a cold shower (it takes way too long for our hot water to get from the tank to the shower) and do a five second rinse off; I actually took a shower. I used soap, shampoo and conditioner! I even slid the razor over my calves! Yeah, in eight minutes! I didn't waste time shutting the doors or any of that nonsense.
How nice! I got in and out of the shower and actually got clean! I could tell because I smelled much better. Most of the time I rush through so fast, the water doesn't even hit me. But today, wow! I got cleaned up! Sweet! Wish I could get an eight minute break a few more times a week.
The kids were fine. I normally hover over them like a very annoying helicopter. For eight minutes, I let them be and they didn't even notice. They usually can't last 8 seconds without intervention being necessary. I'm proud of them!
It's not a big long 15 minute break like a cashier gets, but the job isn't that glorious. I'm kind of proud of myself too. I took a full shower in 8 minutes. There was a time when shower-prep took five times that long!
Not every working person gets 15 minute breaks. When you run an office of 1 there are no breaks, just the lunch.
ReplyDeleteThat would be hard to get a coffee break! We'll just make it happen when I come visit. (Whenever that might be)
ReplyDelete