Saturday, June 30, 2012

Moonlight sewing

Yesterday I got a thread clogged up in the bobbin case of my sewing machine so I had to take it all out, then I thought, hmm, I should unscrew this part and clean under it and oil, oh... and that part under there too...

I took out 6 screws and a bunch of odd looking metal parts and it was a jigsaw puzzle from  hell trying to get them to fit again!  What was I thinking? I had a 3 piece puzzle and I totally could not do it. I spent a couple of hours looming over the machine trying to get it back together, but it wouldn't fit right and it wouldn't work. How on earth did this fit earlier?

My husband came to see what I was up to, and he said "Do you need to concentrate or do  you need to take a break and come back to it later?"  Yes, the latter. I stepped away for the rest of the day.

Last night I thought I'd look at it one more time before going to bed and of course figured it out and fit it all back together in no time. Yay. Why couldn't I do that earlier? I had visions of it never working again. Funny, I was starting off with the first piece upside down and then the other pieces wouldn't fit. In any case, I got things put together properly and decided a screwdriver is a dangerous tool in my hands!

Since it was working, I just had to run something through it. Then another seam, just a little more.

I finished two summer dresses, changed the thread in both machines and almost completed two more sun-dresses!

Just after 1am I looked at the clock. Shock! How did that happen? I never stay up that late; I have trouble staying awake after 11:00.  Seeing the time made me lose my groove, and I shut it all off.  Great, can't sleep because I was laying there worrying about oversleeping since I stayed up too late.

No worries, I woke up just fine thanks to a three-year-old alarm clock. And I made great progress on my dress collection which makes me very happy.  I want to set up shop and sell the dresses online to support my sewing habit  (and pay a professional to take my machines apart and put them back together properly). I think I will launch the shop in August or September, just in time for Halloween.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my sewing time even if it means a sacrifice of sleep time. Although, I will be paying for it this afternoon when the wall of fatigue smacks me down.


No comments:

Post a Comment