I am going to begin a new sewing venture. I've had so many requests from friends and online friends and passers-by about the princess costumes and sundresses that I've made for my daughters. The girls love their pretty princess dresses, and they've held up pretty well. After some thought, hopefully it was rational thought but it's probably not, I decided to sew for fun and profit. Shocking, I know!
Ever since I sewed bridesmaid dresses (plus others) for my sister's wedding back in 1998, I made it a rule to never sew for others. That wedding did me in! I said yes so quickly and the project was bigger than I imagined. Sewing for others, especially for money, makes me very nervous! Luckily, my sister let me sew the dresses as a wedding gift and I didn't have to worry quite as much (I was nervous enough as it was!). If I sew for someone who is paying me, I want every stitch to be perfect, the fabric to hang just right, all the seams and corners to match up, and I want the person buying to be happy with what I can do. See, I am crazy for thinking I can make a buck sewing princess costumes and sell them!
After cruising around through etsy, an online home-sales shopping site, I see that a lot of people are sewing for profit and honestly, I think I do just as well at the sewing machine as most of them.
Let's face it, I am motivated. Our Disneyland passes expired and I'm having withdrawals. I love that place! For the cheapest passes, we have to fork over $700. Ouch. I can't do that without guilt. But, if I earn the money making and selling cute little princess dresses, I can shed that guilt and get passes again! I think I can!
First, I need to buy a big fat pile of pretty fabrics. And, I need my sewing machine and my serger serviced. They both need work on the timing and tension, who knows what else. This isn't a cheap thing to have done and it is supposed to be done annually.
Hopefully, I can at least make and sell enough princess dresses to cover the startup costs and the servicing of my machines. Then I hope to have lots of spare time (while my kids are happy and my house is clean) to sew up enough dresses to earn Disneyland passes. I'd like to get new passes at the end of August after the season pass summer blockout is over. Plus, I really would love to spend more time making and designing pretty dresses. I have some great ideas! Sounds ideal, right?
Now, I really think the hard part will be finding the time to fabric shop, cut and sew the costumes. I am pretty sure I can sell them since I have been encouraged to do so for years so I'm not too worried about that, a little bit, but not too much. I am worried that people will be happy with the price and the fit and the fabric and the whatever... Every business has their grumpy customer, maybe that's what I'm afraid of. Knowing me, I'll take it personally if someone isn't satisfied, but I have to remember that it is sure to happen at least once just like in any other business.
I've convinced myself to go forward with this crazy idea and actually do it! So, what should I call my little dress-making business? Hmmm.... I'm thinking. Suggestions are welcome.

You should go for it. You will be doing something that you like to do and why not make some money out of it.
ReplyDeleteNo suggestions, but best wishes! You make such pretty dresses--I'm sure you'll find people happy to snap them up!
ReplyDelete