Kindergarten, Take 3
Yup,
another kindergarten for Gracie.
Sorta.
There was a sudden change at
her charter school and two teachers were cut from the budget. Gracie's teacher
moved to a different class and the two kindergarten classes were merged
together with the other teacher. So, Gracie is now with a new teacher in
a new room, but same school and same kids. It sucks because now there
are 29 kids in the class!
I'm sad because I really loved her teacher
and she was a great fit for Gracie's personality. She moved up to 1st
grade, so I'll be requesting her next year!
The good part of these changes is that the two Kindergarten teachers worked closely together and used the same curriculum. Plus, she's had her half of the class for months and knows them well; she really only needs to get to know the new half. I'm sure she has seen them here and there and isn't completely unfamiliar with the students. Of course, the students all know each other as well. This takes a lot of the "new" out of this new setup.
Amazing as it sounds, the teacher's aid was able to keep her job! Usually, these people are the first to be cut out of a school budget. She's an important person though. This makes two adults in the room with 29 five-year-olds. I don't even want to think about what it would be like without the assistant!
Honestly, I don't think my outgoing loud kid will have trouble adjusting socially or emotionally. A bigger crowd just means she will be louder and more demanding, but she will get attention if she wants it. I do worry about academics though. She thrives on individual attention, lacks focus and needs a teacher to guide her and keep her on task. Left to her own devices, I'm afraid she won't get much done. She's five.
I loved that her Montessori class had 18 students as opposed to the 25 that were in her class at Tovoshal. Well, now that bubble has burst!
She had her first day in her new class today, also the first day back after the winter break. She was so excited to go back to school! I explained the changes to her and she seemed to understand. After school I picked her up and asked her all about her day.
It was crowded and there were too many kids, but it was fun. Miss Tiffany was happy almost all day long (the assistant). Timothy brought a piece of candy in his lunch box and he wasn't allowed to eat it because it is a no-sugar school, the teacher reminded all of the kids not to bring candy. Sarah was grabbing Gracie's dress and pulling it up so she could see Gracie's underwear. Gracie told her no ten thousand times and she wouldn't stop and the teachers didn't notice. Everyone can tie their shoes now except Gracie and Elsa, but Elsa wears shoes with velcro. Velcro is really cool. They didn't have art, just markers. It was so super awesome - they got to have recess three times instead of two! When is my real teacher coming back?
My goodness, the overcrowding problems sure didn't take long to surface! Some kid yanking my kid's dress up to look at her undies? No bueno! I know they can't see it all with that many kids. I bet the kid with the candy ate it anyway, who would ever know?
I talked to the teacher this morning about the underwear incident and pointed out the lack of attention to it. My kid is wearing pants today and will be wearing booty shorts or something under her dresses from now on. She wears dresses, that's who she is. I understand the kids are five, the other one probably just wanted to see. Panties are adorable these days with all the colors, stripes, polka dots, princesses and stuff all over them. I'm giving the kid the benefit of the doubt and assuming there wasn't any weird reason for wanting to see, just being a little kid who doesn't understand the rules of our social culture. I just hope she knows which kid is mine and which one is the pantie peeker.
With any luck at all, my kindergarten kid will end the year smarter and still happy as can be. Three kindergartens isn't her fault, but she's the one who has to deal with it and adjust to the changes. Maybe this will be good for her! You never know which childhood experiences will be the greatest influences on your child's adult life. I'm hoping this will be inspirational and not something that sends her to therapy. Keep your fingers crossed!
I went to three different kindergartens back in the day and look how I turned out. I'm the sensible sister remember.
ReplyDeleteWow, I can't imagine having that many children in a single classroom. Budget cuts or no... how can they justify that? That is way too big, even with an assistant in the classroom. Poor Gracie! It's hard to deal with change, but for most kids, I think the change is harder on the parents than it is on them. Good luck making it work!
ReplyDelete