Is there anything worse than doing worksheets at home? According to the resident first grader, No. Nothing on earth could be worse than sitting at the table with a pencil and a worksheet. Nothing!
I've been following the school's guideline to the tee. Worksheets for Language Arts, Math, Handwriting and other subjects. I've been super-nagging and making the kid do them all. Then I've been topping it off with spelling lists.
This is not working.
I've lost track of why we are homeschooling. The child is not a worksheet girl, she's a hands-on girl. She learns best when there is something to manipulate, touch, or experience. She's a tangible learner. (Is that a legit educational term?)
After our parent/teacher conference in February where I expressed my concerns about our weekly worksheet wars, the teacher said "so, don't do them". Really? I love her! She's right! Why didn't I think of that?
I made her do one day of worksheets because I really didn't know what to replace them with. How do I do homeschool without the worksheets? It was a horrible day. Fine, I give! The teacher is right, if she hates worksheets at home then they are not teaching her what she really needs to learn. The lessons will be lost in the madness and she will hone her skills in whining, rebellion and arguing. Yeah, we don't want that.
Besides, I don't like being called "Evil".
I looked over her worksheets carefully. Let's see... this month's worksheets are covering contractions, plural vs possessive spelling, and in math: measurement and time. We can do these in other ways. We have to!
First rule: Read anything you want anytime you want.
The monthly project is to write a healthy recipe. So, we need to learn about nutrition and cooking too. I'm lucky enough to have a helpful friend who is wonderful with concocting recipes and has her own child in the kitchen often. These are two things that would make my brain implode, so I enlisted her help.
I gave Gracie an analog watch for her birthday and I am constantly asking her what time it is. This is helping to teach her to tell time. She can look at a digital clock to check and see if she was right. It's working! Not only that, but she is grasping the concepts of how long is a second, minute, hour, etc. I also downloaded a free time telling game to my Nexus and I told her she had to play for ten minutes before playing Angry Birds.
Disneyland turned out to be a wonderful place to learn about time. What time is it now? What time is the next show? How long do we have to wait? What does 20 minutes feel like?
I put one of my sewing measuring tapes in my purse and had her measure anything she wanted to at the park. She had to measure 5 things before being allowed to go down the big twisty slide. Score! I let her choose to measure in inches or centimeters, in her decision making she would flip the measuring tape over and look at both before deciding. Yay! She's doing it!
I was reading one of my favorite sewing blogs, Indietutes, and the blogging mom "unschools" her children. This is a new concept to me; basically it is as she describes it, "project-base, interest-led, home learning".
I'm not sure how to unschool on homeschool days, but I think it's totally worth a shot! I want this to work and it's up to me to make it work or find a way to succeed. Success is learning. With that in mind, I'm trying my best to unschool this homeschool thing!
So far, I think we're doing a pretty good job. She asked to go to the Dinosaur museum, so we went! I've taken her to many places but this month on our outings, I've been trying to see what she is learning. She's also been having movie-nights with her dad and learning lots of pop-culture. This fills her with questions and she's learning a lot.
Right now, as I type this, she's watching Spongebob and not learning a darn thing. But, it's Sunday.
I have to figure out how to account for her homeschool days without the worksheets when we turn in her next homeschool folder. I have no idea how to do this, so I'm going to wing it and hope it works out.


This brings up a big challenge in Education - How do we really measure what a child is learning? by completed worksheets? by test scores?
ReplyDeleteAnd how do you reach children like Gracie that don't want to sit and do the worksheets, or like J that would complete them in 5 minutes and be thinking "ok what now."
No answers, I just appreciate your challenge. Well it'll be my challenge on Thursday. Did she decide what we are cooking? I sent a FB message with some choices (I vote carrot/squash bread!).