Friday, April 20, 2012

Keeping Secrets

Shhh! Don't tell on me!  I have secrets. I go secret places, do secret things, and I can't tell my kindergartener.

While she is at school, she's so afraid that we are going to do something without her. What if she misses something? I always promise that we will just wait until school is done, that's all we will do. Just wait. We won't go anywhere, we won't have playdates, we won't eat cookies, we won't see any of our friends, we won't watch any good movies, we won't read any good stories, we won't play, we won't have any fun. Promise.

It's a promise I cannot keep, but it makes her feel better to know she's not missing out on any of the fun.

Sometimes she'll ask me what we did while she was at school and I reply with some truth and some things that I just wish I would have accomplished:  grocery shopping (she hates to tag along for that), laundry, mopped the floor, cleaned the toilets, and watched the news. 

Yesterday, I went to the zoo. Shhhh!  Today, I went shopping and we ate at Shakey's Pizza. Shhh!  It's a secret! At least once a week my three year old and I go to a park. Sometimes we take the dog too. We'll never tell!

Funny, but I keep these same secrets from my teenager too. She is exactly the same as my kindergartener! When I pick her up from school and she says "What did you do today?" sometimes my brain freezes for a moment and I leave out a few details of my day.  Umm.... nothing special. Tee hee hee.  Shhh!





1 comment:

  1. LOL Liv and I do the same thing. Kait get really upset if we do anything she considers fun while she is at school.

    ReplyDelete