Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mama's Night Out

I went out last night!

First thing was first, I had to pick out something to wear. Ugh, it looks like my closet is where out of style fat clothes go to die.  After weighing my options (heh heh) I passed over the comfy look for an attempt at housewife-glamorous. I donned a brown beaded summer dress which showed off my farmer's tan and frumpy mom arms. Sweet!

I drove down to San Marcos and met up with some of my classmates in a restaurant near the university. We all graduated with our Literature and Writing degrees.

I went alone. It's always weird to be in the van without any passengers. Everyone was home. I asked Fenna to come along with me a couple of times, but she didn't exactly respond so I figured she was waiting for a better offer. She's a teenager, I'm sure she didn't want to hang out with my old friends and listen to us talk about stuff she doesn't know about. I don't enjoy that type of conversation when I'm with Keith and his teacher friends neither. I encouraged her to go to the school dance, but she discovered that it was attended mainly by Freshmen, and they are disrespected. She is sure catching on to this American High School experience quickly! Since she didn't seem to have anything better to do, I told her when I'd be leaving and I announced when I went to my room to get ready. When I was ready to go, she didn't look interested and I didn't want to push it but I felt kind of awkward leaving without her when I wasn't 100% sure if she wanted to come along or not. I think I gave her ample opportunity to hop aboard though. I realize I am out of touch with having a teenager around.

Speaking of being out of touch... I heard the radio announcers saying that they were sick of the only topic of conversation these days - the upcoming Kim Kardashian wedding. I thought to myself, "Kim Kardashian is getting married?". News to me!

I got to San Marcos just fine and drove down the street where I thought the restaurant was. I looked it up on the map before I left, now if I could just remember... I drove up and down the street a couple of times and didn't find the place. Great. The restaurant is lost (as opposed to me!). I pulled into a parking lot and called Keith. He again looked it up on the computer and gave me directions. See? I don't need to learn how to use my GPS! That crazy thing is just fine stuffed away under the seat. I got back out on the street and headed in the right direction, according to Keith I had to drive west about a mile. I sat at the red light looking around and what did I see?  A big sign that said "Acupolco".  That's it! How embarrassing.

We ate mediocre Mexican food and were serenaded by a nearly toothless Mariachi band. It was great! I was starving, so I didn't care that the food wasn't the best ever. It was still pretty darn good and I wolfed it down. I hang out with small children every day; I have no manners.

There were six of us at dinner. We all got reacquainted and tried to remember which classes we had with each other. I think all of them were in one or another of my classes. One guy I really had trouble placing but maybe he was in one of my 300 level classes. I really do not know.

Nobody has a job using their degrees! One guy bags groceries, one gal is a clerk at JC Penny, another gal works in a Sr Citizen home, one guy runs a few paid parking lots (which is what he did prior to going to school), and the other guy wasn't working. I don't have a job neither, so I fit right in. I was afraid I'd suffer by comparison in a professional way, but that wasn't the case. None of them had gone on to the master's program or to the teaching credential program. I'm feeling better about my choices now that I know these very intelligent people made the same choices that I did, although all of our choices were narrowed by circumstance.

We visited about our lives now; we reminisced about our college classmates. We also took a few minutes to remember a deceased classmate.  I went to her funeral service last summer and still had the program in my van (one would think I'd have cleaned it out by now)  so I went out and got it. Everyone passed it around and they seemed genuinely appreciative that I brought it along.

After dinner, we promised each other to get together again since it was so nice to see each other. I do hope that happens. I got into my van, pulled out of the parking lot and drove across the intersection and went half a block where all lanes were merged into one and directed through cones into a parking lot. This was one intense DUI checkpoint! I couldn't believe how many officers were lined up along the cones. The vehicles were checked in groups, the first car drove up to the end of the cone lane to a stop sign and then everyone stopped in line behind; there was an officer for each vehicle to check the driver. The policeman who stepped up to me asked me for my drivers license. I handed it to him. He said "Have you been drinking?" I said, "No, not a drop."  That was that. It was an amazing site to see, they had a lot of police officers, plenty of police cars lined one after another, a trailer with lit up tables and chairs just in front of it which I assume was a temporary booking station, and a line of tow trucks. It appears that they were expecting quite a haul tonight!

I made it back onto the street and found my way home just fine. I enjoyed the drive home listening to the radio rather than the Disney princess collection of songs that was in my cd player.

I got home at 9:15. Keith was sawing logs in the lazy boy in the living room and the lights were out in Fenna's room too. Really? What a couple of Friday night party animals those two are! Both of them sound asleep so early! Charlie, such a good little sleeper, was in bed but the kids were wide awake and Lexie was home. It was time for me to get into comfy pajamas and start typing a blog post! What a great way to end a busy week.  :)

2 comments:

  1. You always manage to have such interesting adventures. Doesn't matter if you're alone or with a car full. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow good thing you didn't have a couple cocktails!

    I think you get lost every time you go somewhere lol.

    ReplyDelete